Friday, December 24, 2010

A few words on music theory:

As a new musician, one of the most helpful things that I have found is to make charts of the key scales.

Below is an example of the heptatonic blues scales:


W + W
W + ½
½
½
W + W
W + ½
A
C
D
D#
E
G
A
A#
C#
D#
E
F
G#
A#
B
D
E
F
F#
A
B
C
D#
F
F#
G
A#
C
C#
E
F#
G
G#
B
C#
D
F
G
G#
A
C
D
D#
F#
G#
A
A#
C#
D#
E
G
A
A#
B
D
E
F
G#
A#
B
C
D#
F
F#
A
B
C
C#
E
F#
G
A#
C
C#
D
F
G
G#
B
C#
D
D#
F#
G#


Because I use Ableton 8 exclusively the sharps and flats are always considered sharps.  For example A# and Bb are both the same frequencies anyway.

The way I use this is to pick a key, decide what tonic note I wish to start with (usually the key note), and read across the rows for the choices of notes that I am allowed to use.

Right now I have, depending on how you count, four or six distinct scale charts that I will use:  Major, Minor, Phrygian (all the same scales really just shifted left or right), Hexatonic Blues, Gypsy Phrygian (very cool Arabic sounds from this one) and Harmonic Minor.  Although I should explore the Melodic Minor Scale some time, it does not translate well into a single chart, as there are two aspects to it: ascending and descending.

After the purchase of a guitar, I thought to myself that the best way to learn the notes on the fretboard would be a similar table:



0
E
A
D
G
B
E

1
F
A#
D#
G#
C
F

2
F#
B
E
A
C#
F#
*
3
G
C
F
A#
D
G

4
G#
C#
F#
B
D#
G#
*
5
A
D
G
C
E
A

6
A#
D#
G#
C#
F
A#
*
7
B
E
A
D
F#
B

8
C
F
A#
D#
G
C
*
9
C#
F#
B
E
G#
C#

10
D
G
C
F
A
D

11
D#
G#
C#
F#
A#
D#
**
12
E
A
D
G
B
E

13
F
A#
D#
G#
C
F

14
F#
B
E
A
C#
F#
*
15
G
C
F
A#
D
G

16
G#
C#
F#
B
D#
G#
*
17
A
D
G
C
E
A

18
A#
D#
G#
C#
F
A#
*
19
B
E
A
D
F#
B

20
C
F
A#
D#
G
C
*
21
C#
F#
B
E
B
C#

22
D
G
C
F
C
D


These tables have been indispensable for me in learning music theory.


David
HMM/TCM

No comments:

Post a Comment