Monday, December 27, 2010

Must......Post......Blog.......

Haven't written in a couple of days.  Last post was on Christmas with the tune "Seven Headed Beast"....thought that was appropriate.  Te he.

So.  Some of the things that I do to promote my music include:  Twitter, Facebook "fan" page, MySpace, BandCamp and SoundCloud.  All of these places, with the exception of BandCamp, are hooked up together, or can be if you look around in the settings for them, such that when you tweet something on twitter, it goes to your MySpace, and Facebook pages.

Other places that I use to promote the tunes are:  ReverbNation, Blogger (here), Promonetics.com, TuneCore, Behance, LinkedIn, YouTube, and my own web site(s).

ReverbNation is kind of cool in that there are charts and graphs and such that help track your progress, in fact as I write this my rank on the dance/electronica chart for the nation is: 791 and rising.  Just checked, that number seems to be out of about 12,000 or so in the dance/electronica genre.  Top 6.2%  not too shabby.

Promonetics.com is primarily EBM, Darkwave, Industrial stuff.  It's the underground of the underground.  But if you are on there, people will subscribe to your promotions and hopefully will play your tunes somewhere around the world.  The closest to me that I have found has been in Chicago....Not bad if they play the tunes.

Behance is usually reserved for graphic artists, but for some reason, you can post music there too.  I just started there, so I can't say much about it.  I do recommend it tho, as it is a platform for professionals.

LinkedIn is another professional platform, and again I just started there.  I can say its resume oriented and there is little opportunity to show your work, unless you have it hooked up to Behance.

Many people use YouTube to showcase their music.  It's an older platform for this, however, it is tried and true.  I am a video cripple right now, as I need to re-learn as well as just get over my fear of posting there, but the nice thing about YouTube is that it's easy to post tunes on FaceBook.

Unless of course you are part of SoundCloud.  SoundCloud (I reserved comment for later here) is a platform for showcasing your tunes, and spreading them like chunky peanut butter across the web.  I highly recommend it.  They give you a solid two full albums worth of space to start, and this can be upgraded for a paltry 29 euro a year.  I have not found a real need to upgrade, except that I am now rotating the tunes in my profile.

Trent Reznor once commented on the value of having ones own website for an up and coming musician.  It shows professionalism to those who are looking at you as an investment.  I recommend it too, except make sure it's up and running smoothly.

Well, that's about it for this morning...have a wonder post holiday season.

David
HMM/TCM

No comments:

Post a Comment